Coastal Resources Technical Assistance Program
The Crater Coastal Resources Technical Assistance Program is funded through National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality's (DEQ) Virginia Coastal Program. The program provides technical assistance to the Commission's "Tidewater Communities" on coastal and Chesapeake Bay related issues and regulations. The Commission's "Tidewater Communities" are the Cities of Colonial Heights, Hopewell, and Petersburg, and the Counties of Chesterfield, Prince George and Surry. Dinwiddie County is also invited to participate in the program. A major work element has been to assist local governments in compliance with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act and Regulations. The Commission also serves as an environmental information clearinghouse, providing data related to the Middle James Tributary Strategy, Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Program, stormwater management, air quality, wetlands, floodplains and groundwater management.
The Commission also provides staff support to the Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR), a non-profit citizen group in regard to its efforts to promote better stewardship of the Appomattox.
Several documents have been developed to address conservation and public access needs along the river. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view these documents. Download it here.
- Download the Appomattox River Interpretive Guide (1.2 MB)
- View the Online Appomattox River Interpretive Guide
- Download the Appomattox River Corridor Plan Summary (1.3 MB)
- Download the Lower Appomattox River Corridor Greenway and Blueway Conceptual Master Plan with map inserts (27.6 MB)
- Download the Lower Appomattox River Corridor Greenway and Blueway Conceptual Master Plan without map inserts (3.8 MB)
In partnership with local governments, Richard Bland College and Virginia State University, the Commission coordinates the Lower Appomattox River Clean-Up events in the Spring and Fall.
Director of Planning & Information Technology
(804) 861-1666 x237
- Chesapeake Bay Local Assistance Department
- Department of Environmental Quality
- Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
- Chesapeake Bay Program
- US Environmental Protection Agency Chesapeake Bay Program Office
- Virginia Coastal Program
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration